Home Heating Fire Prevention Tips
As the weather begins to cool down, homeowners begin turning up the heat. While in the summer we only use our air conditioners and fans to cool down our home, in the fall and winter we use multiple methods to warm it up. However, before waking up your heating system, getting the fireplace going, turning on the space heaters, or lighting your candles, you should be taking precautions to prevent fires.
Since heating your home is a big part of what we do at Environmental Comfort Systems, we want to make sure it’s done as safely as possible. Don’t be one of the 50,000 home heating fires that occur every year. Protect your home and your family by following these home heating fire prevention safety tips!
General Heating Safety
- All heating sources need at least 3 feet of clearance. This includes fireplaces, cooking equipment, space heaters, candles, and your furnace.
- Never use your oven to heat your home.
- Do not leave burning candles unattended.
- Do not leave a space heater unattended, and be sure to unplug it before leaving the room or your house.
- NEVER connect a space heater to an extension cord.
- If the heater has a damaged cord or plug, do not use it.
- Install smoke and carbon monoxide detectors throughout your home. Regularly test your alarms to ensure they’re working properly.
- Smell gas? Turn off the appliance immediately and evacuate. Call the fire department or your local gas company for next steps. Learn about what to do if you smell gas here.
- Regularly clean and inspect your chimney. Use a proper screen to prevent embers from escaping the fireplace.
Heating Equipment Safety
- When installing a wood burning stove, have a professional do the work and be sure to follow the manufacturer’s installation instructions. Be sure to vent any fuel burning equipment outside to avoid carbon monoxide poisoning.
- When installing stationary central heating equipment, have a licensed professional from Environmental Comfort Systems do the work. We’re trained on installation methods for local codes and will ensure your system is installed properly for the comfort of your home and the safety of your family.
- Get a maintenance plan for your HVAC system. Our ComfortCare Club makes sure your system runs smoothly throughout every season and ensures increased efficiency and prolonged system life to save you money in the short and the long run.
Who We Are
Environmental Comfort Systems is a trusted American Standard Heating and Air Conditioning Customer Care Dealer in Decatur, AL. We care about the comfort of your whole home, and often provide tips and inspiration for home projects and whole home comfort.
If you have a question about your home’s HVAC system, give us a call today at 256-308-0032 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We make recommendations on a home-by-home basis to ensure you get exactly what you need for your home and your family.